Can your company move away from an on-premise server to SharePoint Online?
On-premise file servers had their advantages in the past, but for most businesses, everything (and more!) can be done in SharePoint Online and other cloud apps. This guide will help you identify whether you are ready to take the leap.
- Review all your applications – are these currently web-based or hosted on your server?
- Business Specific Applications
- Office products
- If you are still hosting applications on your server, is there a cloud-based option?
- Review the cloud-based option to ensure the functionality is similar. If not, would the adjustment be easy? In most cases, the answer is yes.
- Since SharePoint Online lives in the cloud, there’s no on-premise server required!
- Ensure your computers are less than 5 years old
- Ensure their specs meet a minimum of: Intel i5 processor, 256GB SSD, 16 GB of RAM
What type of connection do you have?
- Cable – if the first number (download speed) is larger than the second number, this is likely a cable connection. Example: 100/20
- Fiber – the download and upload speeds are identical. Example: 100/100
- Fiber is ideal for a cloud-based environment due to the higher upload dependency nowadays. However, a fast enough cable connection would suffice depending on a few factors. Please reach out – we would be happy to audit this for you!
Microsoft 365 License
Check which licenses you have. Most come with SharePoint Online and OneDrive. If you’re a SquarePlanIT client, you likely have a Microsoft 365 Business Premium license, the best for small and midsize businesses!
Microsoft 365 Business Premium is highly recommended when moving to SharePoint Online for the additional cybersecurity and productivity benefits.
- Review the amount of data you currently have on your servers.
- Review what data would need to be migrated to SharePoint. SharePoint Online comes standard with 1TB but can be expanded if needed.
- Hint: this may be a good time to perform some “spring cleaning” and get rid of those really old files you’ll never need again!
In most cases, your office printers are managed by the server. Ensure you have a solution for this to manage printing. Printix is a great option that we can implement for you.
- Evaluate your current IT provider. Do they have the expertise needed to set this up correctly? Microsoft 365 licenses are not cheap, having a provider who can maximize your subscription is critical.
- Ask your IT provider for references of similar projects they have completed.
- Contact SquarePlanIT to get a free review of your systems and receive a SharePoint readiness report.
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) should always be used with your Microsoft 365 license.
- Consider how you currently scan in the office. Is it to a shared folder on a server? You may be able to scan directly into a SharePoint Online folder or you may want to switch to scan to email.
- All computers should be synced to OneDrive. There are many benefits to syncing your primary work computer to OneDrive. If your computer crashes, your files are still secure. You also have the ability to take your files with you wherever you go!
At SquarePlanIT, we help business owners just like you become more profitable through technology. We’re fanatical about making technology easy so you can be more productive, efficient, and secure. The best part? If you’re one of our clients, you already have access to these tools at no extra cost! So what are you waiting for? Contact us for a SharePoint readiness review today!
Ready to try it out for yourself?
Schedule a free 15-minute discovery call with someone from our team. If you’re an existing client, we’d love to just say “hi” and maybe have a virtual coffee. If not, we’d love to see if we’re a good mutual fit!
P.S. if you’re looking for a new IT service provider, check out our guide that covers how to choose your next IT service provider for some quick tips to get you started!